Trends impacting policy development pertaining to the MIDAS Region include:
- COMMODITY AGRICULTURE
Commodity agriculture will no longer drive the regional economy.
- OUTMIGRATION, LABOR SHORTAGES, AND IMMIGRATION
The area is experiencing outmigration, labor shortages, and immigration.
- INCREASING COST OF SERVICE
There is an increasing cost of services.
- DECLINING POPULATION
The area has a declining population. All counties in the MIDAS region saw their peak populations prior to 1940.
- INCREASINGLY ELDERLY POPULATION
The population is becoming increasingly elderly.
- POLICIES FOR ECONOMIC RESTRUCTURING
- Close the digital divide
- Encourage the entrepreneur
- Leverage the "New Agriculture"
- Preserve the rural landscape
- Boost the human capital.
Feel free to contact MIDAS Staff with any questions regarding Policy Development!